Career Education Systems


Questions & Answers about getting a real estate license:

How hard is the test?
Just like any other test, the difficulty level depends on how well you are prepared. Over the past 35 years in both Kansas and Missouri, Career Education Systems has had one of the highest passing rates month in and month out. Don’t let the test scare you. Just make sure you are well prepared.
What schooling is required?
Kansas requires a 30 hour Pre-exam course before you can sit for the salesperson’s test; you also must be at least 18 years old and have a high school diploma or GED to be licensed. Prior to applying for a license, you must also take another 30 Practice course which is a course on contract forms, working with sellers and buyers, etc.
Missouri requires a 48 hour Pre-exam course before you can sit for the salesperson’s test; you also must be at least 18 years old. Prior to applying for a license, you must also take another 24 Practice course which is a course on contract forms, working with sellers and buyers, etc.
Can I take the classes online or by correspondence?
Yes, both Kansas and Missouri allow the Pre-exam and Practice courses to be taken online or by correspondence.
Who gives the test?
Kansas uses Pearson Vue, which is based in Philadelphia, PA, to do their testing. You can take the test at different locations in the Kansas City area. Tests are given Monday through Saturday. They also have several locations throughout Kansas, including Wichita and Topeka, the test is typically offered 2-3 weekdays and every Saturday.
Missouri uses PSI (formerly AMP) for testing. PSI is located in Olathe, KS. The tests are given in Kansas City every day of the week and the third Saturday of each month, and in several other locations in Missouri. In Saint Louis the test is offered every day of the week and the second Saturday of the month, except for the Monday following the second Saturday it is closed.
What is covered on the test?
The test is broken up into two parts. Part 1 covers general laws and principles that would be applicable across the entire United States. Part 2 covers questions that would only apply to your home state. For the salesperson’s test, the general section has 100 questions in Missouri and 80 questions in Kansas. The state law portion has 40 questions in Missouri and 30 questions in Kansas.
What if I pass one section but not the other?
You only have to go back and pass the portion you failed. Test scores in Kansas are good for six months so both sections must be passed within that time. Missouri gives you six months from the date you complete the pre-exam course to pass both sections.
Do I have to pass both state tests if I want to be licensed in Kansas AND Missouri?
First, you have to pass the test in your HOME state. Your home state is defined as where you are living at the time you apply for license. Kansas residents can get a Missouri license after receiving a Kansas license, by passing the Missouri state law portion of the Missouri exam, taking the 24 hour Missouri Practice Course and applying with the Missouri license fee. Missouri residents can receive a Kansas license after receiving a Missouri license, by passing the state law portion of the Kansas exam, taking the 30 hour Kansas Practice course, completing an application and paying the Kansas license fee.
Do I have to be fingerprinted before receiving a license.
Both Kansas and Missouri require fingerprinting before obtaining a license. For details on fingerprinting, go to our fingerprinting page under Student Resources.
What is the difference between a salesperson’s and a broker’s license?
A broker acts like an employer; i.e. a broker hires salespersons to represent the broker in making sales. A salesperson can only work for one broker at a time.
Do I have to have a real estate brokerage company hold my license?
Yes, after you have passed the test, you can apply for license. A licensed broker must sign the application and agree to supervise you.
Can I skip the salesperson stage and become a broker immediately?
No. All candidates for a broker’s license in either Kansas or Missouri must have worked as a real estate licensee for two years prior to applying for a broker’s license. Some persons who have a lot of real estate experience can apply for a waiver of the two years but it does not apply to most people.
How do I find a broker?
Most of the brokers in town take on new people on a regular basis. It is up to you to shop around to find a broker that meets your needs. You can get a start by contacting some offices close to where you live or work.
How much will it cost me to get a real estate license?
There are a number of costs in getting licensed. Fortunately, you don’t usually have to pay them all at one time. Below is a list of typical costs:

$250 (KS), $395 (MO)
Pre-exam course. The reason for the difference is that Missouri requires 48 hours and Kansas only 30 hours.
$200 (KS), $200 (MO)
Kansas Practice License Course & Missouri Practice Course
$82 (KS), $75 (KS exam retake); $62 (MO)
Test fee (to testing service)
License fee (to states of Kansas and/or Missouri)

Additionally, there are other up-front costs that you may incur (depending on the type of real estate career you pursue). The following amounts are approximate:

Board of Realtors annual dues (if your company is a Realtor member)
Multiple listing service initial membership costs
Entry level sales training

Just like any other business, there are other on-going costs that you will incur. (Check with your broker about other costs that may not be listed here).

How much money can I expect to make?
Unlike most businesses, real estate agents are usually self-employed and work on commission. Each brokerage company charges different amounts and shares the commission with their salespersons differently. As a general rule, the more you sell, the more you make. That is not only true due to the fact that you have more commission but that many brokers will give you a greater percentage of the total commission the more you sell. Talking with several brokerage companies is usually the best way to find out how they handle commission.
Note that it often takes several months after getting a license to make a sale, close the sale and receive payment. People going into real estate need to be able to be supported for several months before being paid. Make sure your family understands this.
What is the most common reason people get into and/or quit the real estate business?
Strangely enough, the answer is the same: dealing with people. Many individuals love to get into real estate because they can meet many new people every week and help them get into homes. However, since buying a house is the biggest financial decision most people make, they can sometimes seem very irrational. It can be quite frustrating to work with a buyer for weeks and then see them decide not to buy at all or buy through someone else. Can you handle that type of thing without feeling personally rejected? Can you handle your finances in a way that you can afford to lose a commission when a buyer walks away? If you can, real estate could very well be the career for you. On the other hand, if your feelings get hurt easily and you have trouble handling money, you may want to look for a career with a bit more consistency to it.
When does the license renew?
After a new Kansas license is issued, the requirement is 12 hours of continuing education prior to the first license expiration date, and then every two years after that. The expiration date is the first day of the month that your license was issued, after two years have passed.
After a new Missouri license is issued, the requirement is 12 hours of continuing education that must be taken prior to the first renewal of that new license, and then every two years after that. This is true for both newly licensed salespersons and newly licensed brokers. All salespersons renew in September on even numbered years, and all brokers renew in June on even numbered years.
What are continuing education classes and when should they be taken?
Continuing education courses are required for each 2 year renewal for both states. Each course is 3 hours long. All courses at CES are approved in both states, so you should be able (most of the time!) to take a total of 12 hours and be done for both states, depending on the renewal dates for both states and the timing of the classes.
Kansas requires both Salespersons and Brokers to take a minimum of 3 hours of Kansas Required Core and 9 hours of electives. If you were licensed prior to 2019, the month for renewal is based on the first letter of your last name. Those licensed 1/1/2019 and after will renew on the first day of the month the license issued, every two years. You may take the continuing education classes anytime during the 2 year period between renewals. CES offers a variety of different classes at different times during each month.
Missouri requires both salespersons and brokers to take 3 hours of Missouri Core and 9 hours of electives. As previously stated, salespersons renew in September and brokers renew in June every 2 years on the even years. You may take the continuing education courses anytime between renewals.
Both states send out renewal notices prior to the end of each renewal period.
What happens if a license is not renewed on time?
For a license to be renewed on time means that the continuing education classes have been taken no later than the last day of the renewal period and that the renewal notice with fee was postmarked (or renewed online) no later than that date.
If the above did not occur, Kansas will add a $100 late fee and allow a 6 month grace period, but the license is no longer valid until everything is turned in to the state. If the 6 months goes by without the renewal being complete, then the license has lapsed and the pre-license courses and test will have to be taken again.
Missouri does not have any sort of grace period. If classes are not completed and the license renewal is not postmarked (or renewed online) by the last day of the renewal period, the license lapses and, generally, the 24 hour Practice course must be taken again. ALWAYS CHECK WITH THE MISSOURI REAL ESTATE COMMISSION to see what they will require for license reinstatement.
What happens if a license is put on inactive status?
First of all, a license on inactive status with the real estate commission is different than having a license and not being active in the business.
A license on inactive status is sent back to and held by the real estate commission. Missouri will require the 24 hour Practice course to be taken again to reactivate the license. You MUST check with the Missouri Real Estate Commission as to what they will require of you to reactivate.
A license on inactive status in Kansas will need continuing education hours to reactivate. The requirement is six hours for each year the license is inactive. You MUST check with the Kansas Real Estate Commission on the total number of hours you will need to reactivate. After a license has been inactive for 5 years, the licensee must also pass the test in order to reactivate the license.

© Career Education Systems, Inc. All rights reserved.